Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Golden Compass


I've heard a lot of stuff lately about The Golden Compass. Initially I heard that it was written by an atheist and that the zealots were pissed off. That very day I ordered the set off of eBay. It seems that even CNN Money is offended by this thing. You know what pisses me off? All the people who ruined the Chronicles of Narnia by drawing Christian parallels to it and this claiming it as theirs. I have never read that series and seriously doubt that I will now. But since the zealots are who they are, I am reading His Dark Materials. I think it is a perfectly acceptable use of fiction against fiction. The book has no bearing on reality....just like the bible.

For what it's worth, I have finished reading The Golden Compass as of yesterday. I found the story interesting, but I am not particularly fond of the writing style. There are a whole lot of details that have been left out. To me it feels like watching a movie after reading the book. I will probably still watch the movie as it will probably be entertaining...I will most likely take my kids to see it.